If you think that you or someone else may have a problem with gambling then please take some time to consider the problem gambling checklist below:
- Are you ever absent from work or studying in order to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from boredom or unhappiness?
- After losing, do you feel you must try and regain your losses as soon as possible?
- When gambling and you are out of funds, do you feel despair and need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until you are out of funds?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time you have spent gambling?
- Have you ever lied borrowed or stolen to maintain your gambling habits?
- Are you reluctant to spend money on anything else but gambling?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or hobbies?
If the answer to most of the above questions is "Yes" it is indicative that you have a problem with gambling.
We recommend that you try to:
- Gamble for enjoyment or entertainment only.
- Set a reasonable and affordable target for how much you are prepared to lose.
- Keep strict records of wins and losses.
There are various organisations that are prepared to help: